Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Office

Why do I call myself moderately involved when it sounds like a lot more involvement when you are right in the middle of splitting a tractor in two?
I say moderately because I have an “off our farm” job. I work as a crop insurance adjuster. My job as an adjuster has taken me away from home for two days, as of me writing this, for some classroom training. Also as the farming ramps up in the spring about two to three weeks later my job starts for the year too; usually with replants then to hail claims. I like to think of this as “off our farm” since being a crop insurance adjuster requires me to be on “a farm” at nearly all times. And my really busy times of the year usually coincide with what is happening on our farm because all of the farmers in my area are doing the same things we are at the same times we are.
I usually get the first two or three weeks of the spring planting season on the farm to help deliver and fill seed boxes on the planter (we used to have a six row planter with each row having its own individual seed box) and making parts or tool runs to the field. Then there is always the occasional filling the bulk tank in the (stick shift) rock truck with fertilizer and delivering it to the field. (It’s always a good thing to know how to drive a standard transmission vehicle if you are going to help on the farm. J) These are probably about the most stressful and longest days of the year (next to harvest) for my husband; however, I tend to find them as great and relaxing. I mean what is better than getting to spend your days outside enjoying nature and working at the same time.
I do (try to) help make decisions on the farm and about what is going on. I have even told my husband to spend several thousands of dollars on a new grain bin (on farm storage). It was my unique view of the situation we were in at the time to make him rethink why we really needed to build a grain bin. I also help in the field during harvest by driving the tractor and grain cart or operating the combine (which to a certain point is actually easier than driving a car). I’m kind of a “Jill of all trades,” I mean I have my own chain saw my husband got me for Christmas one year. And yes, I still claim that is the best Christmas present I have ever received to date!!!!
I love the farm life and being out in the country and that is probably part of the reason I like my job so much. The other reason is my job keeps me connected to “the farm” even when I’m at work. It is one thing to be able to talk the talk, but it is completely different when you can walk the walk. I can relate to what other farmers are going through, their concerns and their connection to the land. In that way I believe my moderate involvement on our farm helps me in my professional career. Just like being a crop insurance adjuster helps me on our farm by giving me ideas and new ways of looking at things on our farm. Both of these “jobs” go hand in hand and it’s the link and balance (or sometimes the complete imbalance :-/) between the two that leads me to call myself a moderately involved farm wife.
Later,
Stephanie
The Moderately Involved Kansas Farm Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment